Saturday, April 30, 2011

Salad Saturday - The BEST Turkey Burger

It's the first Salad Saturday! Woohoo!

Last Saturday we had a bright, sunny day which is typical for most parts of the country for late April but came as a surprise to us Pacific North-westerners. Apparently it's been the rainiest April on record... but since Saturday was absolutely gorgeous we decided to grill out. Mmmmmmm...

I had a pound and a half of turkey, and a plan.

One of my favorite recipe books is Martha Stewart's Great Food Fast. It's absolutely amazing because she has a whole book full of yummy recipes that are 1.) ingredients that I tend to have in my house 2.) slightly fancy sounding and a little gourmet(ish). They make me feel good about my cooking and baking skills because they're super easy recipes and they really are great. Kudos to the editor who named the book - you are spot on. 

Anyway, here's what the book looks like:


You can buy it on Amazon HERE.
... for under $4, I think it's quite the steal.

Here's the recipe as it appears in the book:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (93 percent lean)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
Directions:
  1. Heat grill to high. In a medium bowl, use a fork to gently combine ground turkey with Gruyere, scallions, breadcrumbs, mustard, and garlic; season generously with salt and pepper. Gently form mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties.
  2. Lightly oil grill. Place patties on hottest part of grill; sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Move patties to cooler part of grill; continue grilling until cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes per side.
Here's the link if that's easier for you:
Favorite Turkey Burger

    How I made it my own:
    1.  I didn't have any Gruyere cheese so instead of adding that in with the turkey meat, I just added some sharp cheddar to the top of the burger after it had cooked through but before it turned into a hockey puck. 
    2. I also didn't have any Dijon mustard and completely spaced adding in the cloves but I did add a tiny bit of BBQ sauce.
     Needless to say, it was a super recipe!

    Happy grilling!

    Mary


    No comments:

    Post a Comment