Friday, April 29, 2011

Into the Light

Lately I've been having a little bit of a focusing problem.


I want to blame this on the fact that my son just won't sit still but I was even getting blurry pictures of inanimate objects. So the next step was to blame my camera. I use a Canon Rebel XTi which I got in 2007 as a graduation present. In fancy-type camera years, it's ancient, but it does the trick.

I was chatting with a friend about focus and how to get the best pictures of not only wiggly babies but mature adults who can sit still for more than 10 seconds. He said to remember to think about the light and to change the ISO accordingly. You need a higher ISO (800 or 1600) for darker places and a lower ISO (200 or 400) for bright places. While deep down, I knew this, I had just been getting to distracted with all of the other aspects of taking a good picture.

This last weekend for Easter service I was in an auditorium that doesn't have a lot of natural light - I changed my ISO to 1600 and got some good results.


Sweet deal!

Mary

P.S. - The only thing to remember about changing your ISO to 800 or 1600 is that your pictures might end up being a little grainy - but it's better to get the shot sometimes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment